Top causes of residential fires in Tampa and how to prevent them
There are many perils you need to consider as a homeowner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can arise in various places and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States due to residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded occurrences. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to keep them from happening|. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Tampa.
What sparks residential fires in Tampa?
Fires can start in any spot and without notice, whether caused by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or an unattended stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most widespread kinds of residential fires in Tampa and all other areas. Unattended stovetops are the main origin, so always keep an eye on that scorching skillet when cooking. It’s also worth nothing that putting water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Space heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Running them for long time periods can cause internal parts to break down and spark. Situating heaters next to combustible objects like bed sheets and drapes or using frayed cords can also lead to disastrous results. Other heating elements, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, might cause fires and should be inspected periodically.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, faulty outlets, and overloaded extension cords are a few of the ways electrical complications lead to fires. Don’t ever operate an appliance with a frayed cord, and make sure combustible materials like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it investigated right away.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still commonplace and often result from careless behavior. Placing them within a pet’s domain or near combustible materials will often produce disastrous results.
- Smoking: Despite the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette in hand or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can cause destructive results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Tampa is to be attentive at all times. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle burning, and dispose of cigarettes properly. If you must operate a space heater, do so sparingly and get one that includes an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it is knocked over.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Tampa
You ought to have smoke detectors on every floor and more next to sleeping areas. But you can take your home’s safety to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only detect smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. Furthermore, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring specialists whenever a crisis strikes. This is a notable benefit, specifically when you’re not home to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.
Safeguard your home against various threats with a Vivint smart home in Tampa
Elevate the protection of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your mobile device and the reassurance that comes with professional monitoring. Place a call to (813) 590-1845 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.