Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Tampa
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re nearing the date to close, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for your family. You’re likely pondering the ways you can individualize your house with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you give thought to home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Tampa.
Perform a safety check of your new Tampa property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, discover what your new home already has. To begin, make sure you have functioning smoke detectors. Try each one and change batteries if needed. Do you have CO detectors? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to update door locks and inspect all window locks. Go through each room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Tampa home
Once you’ve done your initial check of locks and safety alarms, you may look into enhancing your protection. Begin with these security tips for your home in Tampa.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Tampa can do is install a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can review live video footage, control door locks, and even communicate with visitors at your door straight from your cell phone. You can even personalize your defense with amazing security measures like video cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lights. Outdoor lights with motion sensors are an effective way to discourage potential invaders. You can even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can tell your surveillance to start recording.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have an unblocked view of your property through your windows? Are there overgrown shrubs and trees impeeding the view? Remove possible areas to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it as well.
- Get to know others on your street. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people around you, they’ll be more likely to advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You can also get involved in your area’s social media presence if one is created.
- Benefit from home automation. If you go with an innovative smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by turning on smart lights at scheduled times. This is a nice feature when you’re at work or on vacation.